General Dog Statistics
|U.S. Pet Ownership Statistics
- There are approximately 68,000,000 owned dogs in the United States.
- Four in ten or 40,000 households own at least one dog.
- Most owners own one dog (63%)
- About 1/4 of dog owners (24%) own two dogs.
- 13% of dog owners own three or more dogs.
- On average, dog owners have almost two dogs (1.7)
- There are an equal number of male and female dogs owned in the U.S.
- 20% of owned dogs were adopted from an animal shelter.
- On average, dog owners spent $196 on veterinary related expenses in the past 12 months.
- Seven out of ten owned dogs are spayed or neutered.
Source: American Pet Products Manufacturers Association (APPMA)
2001-2002 National Pet Owners Survey and the HSUS
14% of all U.S. adults (29.1 million) say they have traveled with a pet on a trip of 50 miles or more, one-way, away from home in the past three years. Dogs are the most common type of pet to take (78%) and cats are second at 15%. The percentage of households traveling with pets most likely increases during the summer when more families travel on vacation. Auto or truck is the primary mode of transportation (76%), followed by RV (10%), and airline (6%). While travelers with pets most often stay with friends/relatives (32%), an almost equal number stay at hotels or motels (29%).
Source: Travel Industry Association of America, 2002