General Dog Statistics
|U.S. Pet Ownership Statistics
- There are approximately 68,000,000 owned dogs in the United States.
- Four in ten or 40,000 households own at least one dog.
- Most owners own one dog (63%)
- About 1/4 of dog owners (24%) own two dogs.
- 13% of dog owners own three or more dogs.
- On average, dog owners have almost two dogs (1.7)
- There are an equal number of male and female dogs owned in the U.S.
- 20% of owned dogs were adopted from an animal shelter.
- On average, dog owners spent $196 on veterinary related expenses in the past 12
- Seven out of ten owned dogs are spayed or neutered.
Source: American Pet Products Manufacturers Association
2001-2002 National Pet Owners Survey and the HSUS
14% of all U.S. adults (29.1 million) say they have
traveled with a pet on a trip of 50 miles or more, one-way, away from home in the
past three years. Dogs are the most common type of pet to take (78%) and cats are
second at 15%. The percentage of households traveling with pets most likely increases
during the summer when more families travel on vacation. Auto or truck is the primary
mode of transportation (76%), followed by RV (10%), and airline (6%). While travelers
with pets most often stay with friends/relatives (32%), an almost equal number stay
at hotels or motels (29%).
Source: Travel Industry Association of America, 2002
Before you visit an establishment or place, please
contact them and verify that they are still dog-friendly and available, as policies
and management change frequently. All places listed on DogFriendly.com require
your dog to be leashed and under your direct control unless specified otherwise
by an establishments (including parks and beaches) management. Please be aware
of local Breed-Specific
Laws that may be in place where you are visiting. The information
on this site is not a recommendation. DogFriendly.com, Inc. makes no warranties
or representations of any kind, express or implied, as to the operation of the
site or the information, content, materials, or products included on this site.
If you find an establishment that no longer allows dogs, please let us know so
we can remove them from our list. For full Rules and Regulations for Use of This
Site, including the legal disclaimer and copyright notices,
click here before using the site.
Copyright © 1997-2017, All Rights Reserved, DogFriendly.com®,
Send email to us at email@example.com